I’m Thankful – Royals Edition
Every year on Thanksgiving, I try to look at what I’m thankful for when it comes to our favorite team, the Kansas City Royals. You may think that it isn’t easy to find things that make me give thanks on a team like the Royals, but you’d be surprised. Tell me in the comments what you’re thankful for, Royals style and even after years and years of losing, our favorite team can bring us a little joy around the holidays.
- I’m thankful for Alex Gordon’s arm in the outfield. There’s nothing more fun than watching him gun down a runner at the plate and then put that little smirk on as if to say, “Who? Me?”
- I’m thankful for the fact that Jeff Francoeur’s contract is up at the end of this season. Maybe we’ll be done with him after that. Maybe.
- I’m thankful for eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast, meat and everything else that makes up a Country Breakfast.
- I’m thankful for Alcides Escobar, his braces and his ability to go into the hole and make that play better than Derek Jeter could ever dream.
- I’m thankful sophomore slumps are a real thing in baseball and that we’re attributing Eric Hosmer’s 2012 to that…for now.
- I’m thankful Kerry Robinson is no longer a member of the Royals.
- I’m thankful Luke Hochevar is no longe…oh. Never mind.
- I’m thankful for Salvador Perez and his beautiful right arm picking people off left and right and throwing out attempted base stealers. I think most of the pitchers on the staff would agree with this one.
- I’m thankful for the fact that the All-Star Weekend in Kansas City was a rousing success.
- I’m thankful we booed Cano because it showed we aren’t pushovers in Kansas City.
- I’m thankful for those beautiful fountains in the outfield.
- I’m thankful the Marlins haven’t traded Giancarlo Stanton yet because it means there’s still hope the Royals acquire him. I’m not hopeful, but I’m thankful.
- I’m thankful the return rate on Tommy John Surgery is so high. I’m pretty sure Dr. Yocum is thankful for the Royals and for all the business they’ve sent his way.
- I’m thankful the Royals are still reaping the benefits of the Carlos Beltran trade with the last remaining piece, Chris Getz. Grit for all!
- I’m thankful the Royals cut bait on Jonathan Sanchez soon enough that he’ll never be more than a footnote in team history. They waited too long, but not so long that he’d enter the record books for the wrong reasons.
- I’m thankful for the guests who have agreed to appear on the podcast with Clint and me. I’ve got my favorites and you probably have yours, but all of them have been gracious enough to take time out of their days to meet with two guys who just talk Royals regularly and somehow have people listening to us do it.
- I’m thankful when Lorenzo Cain makes a running catch and doesn’t come up lame because he pulled/tweaked/broke/tore something.
- I’m thankful for Kelvin Herrera’s 100 mile per hour heat.
- I’m thankful for Greg Holland’s filthy stuff.
- I’m thankful for Luis Mendoza’s beautiful mane of hair.
- I’m thankful Ned Yost will likely not be the manager forever. Maybe more hopeful on this one.
- I’m thankful the Royals have done a better job getting their young talent signed up to long-term deals.
- (here’s the sappy one) I’m thankful for all of you who read this site and follow us on Twitter and comment and make it all worthwhile for us.
About The Author
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.